Consumers for Affordable Health Care Job Opening:
Health Insurance Consumer Assistance Program Manager
Consumers for Affordable Health Care (CAHC) is a fast-paced nonprofit organization whose mission is to advocate the right to quality, affordable health care for every person living in Maine. CAHC currently serves as Maine’s Health Insurance Consumer Assistance Program. Our Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) provides toll-free, statewide HelpLine assistance that in 2020, fielded over 9,000 calls from people who needed assistance understanding health insurance options, and applying for and enrolling in private Marketplace and MaineCare coverage, as well as assistance with health insurance appeals and health care safety net programs. The Consumer Assistance Program also provides outreach and education, health coverage trainings and presentations to a variety of stakeholders, provider groups and social service agencies.
Health Insurance Consumer Assistance Program Manager
Consumers for Affordable Health Care is seeking a full-time Consumer Assistance Program Manager. The Consumer Assistance Program Manager is responsible for the successful operation of the Consumer Assistance Program, (CAP), including oversight of the three primary components of CAHC’s consumer assistance work: the Consumer Assistance Helpline, Private Insurance Appeals, and Education and Outreach.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, organized individual with a collaborative management style. They must be able to manage multiple projects and priorities at once and be able to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
• Manage the day-to-day operations of the HelpLine, including staffing and scheduling.
• Set and maintain HelpLine quality standards to ensure HelpLine staff provide assistance to consumers that is accurate, compassionate, and culturally and linguistically appropriate.
• Maintain expertise in health coverage topics and programs and provide HelpLine staff with timely and comprehensive updates and guidance, including creating protocols, summaries, scripts or other tools to aid HelpLine staff in their work.
• Lead training of new staff or volunteers in topics such as coverage options, eligibility and application processes, and other advanced skills as needed.
• Lead weekly program meetings, including case review meetings.
• Serve as liaison to state agencies, program and plan administrators in advanced consumer issue resolution.
• Identify emerging issues and trends on HelpLine and communicate with CAHC policy staff to identify opportunities for advocacy and provide advanced consumer assistance.
• Represent organization in public forums and stakeholder groups.
• Provide direct consumer assistance on the HelpLine, as necessary.
Private Insurance Appeals
• Oversee private insurance appeals, including compiling and organizing information related to requests for assistance and complaints, grievances, and appeals with private insurance companies, and provide direct support to consumers through appeals.
Outreach and Education
• Supervise staff and assist with the planning and implementation of in-person and virtual trainings regarding private and public health coverage in Maine.
• Participation in the development of consumer outreach and education strategies aimed at providing information about health coverage in Maine and how to apply for and enroll in coverage.
• Conduct outreach and provide presentations and trainings on health coverage programs and to diverse constituencies including providers, social service organizations, and community groups.
• Liaison with various state agencies and other stakeholders involved in the provision of health coverage in Maine.
Data Management and Reporting
• Maintain and update data collection/activity tracking and reporting systems for all Consumer Assistance Program activities.
• Ensure accurate, updated records of HelpLine and Outreach activities for tracking, reporting and marketing purposes.
• Provide data reports to support grant writing, reporting, and marketing as needed in coordination with the Executive Director.
• Evaluate and report problematic trends or systemic problems related to CAHC’s mission to outside stakeholders, appropriate state agency staff, and other CAHC staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Educational Requirements
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably with focus in health care, social services, or public health.
2. Experience facilitating development of and fostering a positive team culture.
3. Excellent program and project management skills.
4. Experience using databases highly preferred, including data input and retrieval and generating reports. Previous experience with Salesforce a plus.
5. Ability to complete multiple assignments under tight time constraints and work independently.
6. Experience effectively supervising staff.
7. Excellent organizational and listening skills.
8. Sense of social justice and commitment to the mission of the organization
9. Knowledge of Maine health care environment, including expertise in health coverage programs such as MaineCare, private insurance, and the
Affordable Care Act Marketplace highly preferred.
Consumers for Affordable Health Care offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes paid health and dental coverage for the employee, a fully vested retirement plan where the organization annually contributes a portion of employee’s annual salary and also offers a voluntary 403(b) retirement plan and generous paid vacation, sick, and personal time benefits.
Consumers for Affordable Health Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. While this position is typically based in Augusta, the ability to work remotely during the pandemic and beyond will be considered.
Salary: Mid 40’s to mid 50’s depending on experience
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, short writing sample (one page), résumé, and three (3) references to the attention of Valérie McAuslin at email@example.com or by mail by April 23, 2021 to Consumers for Affordable Health Care, P.O. Box 2490, Augusta, ME 04338-2490.
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.