Tobacco Treatment Specialists help Mainers quit tobacco and vaping statewide by providing participant-focused behavior change services via the telephone to support participants’ through their quit journey, while meeting established performance expectations. The Specialist must attend weekly staff meetings, monthly training, and feedback/coaching sessions, apply learning from coaching and training into interventions with participants, and comply with attendance, punctuality and all other behavior expectations and company policies. This position would be helping Mainers quit tobacco statewide as part of the Maine QuitLink team (https://mainequitlink.com/)
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent work experience in behavior change service, counseling, health education or related field required.
2. License/Certifications: Advanced knowledge and skills in tobacco treatment training as identified by holding or being eligible to apply for certification as a being (or applying to be) a Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS-C).
3. Experience: See “Education.” Three-year minimum counseling experience, or related experience such as coaching, mentoring, or training, preferably in a clinical setting. Chemical dependency coursework or work experience preferred. Previous experience providing interventions in health behavior change program strongly preferred.
4. Analytical abilities necessary to obtain medical histories, prepare treatment plans, and treat assigned patients with minimal guidance and direction.
5. Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a variety of personnel (e.g. patients, employees, physicians, and other health care professionals.)
6. Demonstrated high-level communication and active listening skills: ability to effectively problem-solve and work with a wide variety of people.
7. Computer competency – work processing, database management, etc.
8. Participant/Customer focus: Excellent customer service and telephone skills.
9. Ability to work in a productive environment that requires all work to be completed on the telephone.
10. Proficient computer skills, including basic MS office skills: comfortable navigating database screens.
11. Self-direction and initiative to achieve team and individual goals; skilled as an individual contributor and team member, desire to contribute to the overall success of the team and the clients served.
12. Demonstrated ability to learn and to adhere to a wide range of strategies and protocols.
13. Demonstrated ability to attend to detail and follow through on tasks.
14. Demonstrated ability to remember and accurately retrieve information in order to assist customers.
15. Demonstrated dependability, flexibility and professional demeanor.
16. Previous success in customer focused role demanding high-level communication and active listening skills.
17. Previous use of Motivational Interviewing and other brief intervention models strongly preferred.
Visit https://www.careersatmainehealth.org/ and search “tobacco” for more information.